Applications for cycle 3 of the ACT Thuthukisani Programme are now open!
The next 3 provinces for Cycle 3 include; Gauteng, Free State and Western Cape
Thuthukisani is a call to action taken from the Zulu word Thuthukisa (verb) means Develop
The ACT Thuthukisani Programme, supported by Nedbank, was created to invest in a selected group of registered arts businesses and artists from three provinces, in a predetermined cycle, to implement and execute their chosen projects in a strategic and sustainable way, the goal being to deliver a profitable product over a 90-day period.
The programme requires participants to switch gear into proactive, creative solutions and opportunities to create profitable products and projects through training and mentorship. Throughout this process, projects that illustrate viability and merit will be selected for a monetary investment to roll out their project over a 90-day period. The programme is rolled out in three phases and includes three provinces per cycle. A total of seven participants from each province are selected to participate, after which up to three participants may undergo further mentorship and receive an investment in order to assist them in the implementation of their projects.
The application process follows a set format:
- An online application form needs to be completed by all prospective participants be they arts entrepreneurs, arts practitioners or organisations in the cultural and creative industries. The application must include a proposal for an arts project that will be workshopped and developed during participation in the Thuthukisani Programme.
- Participants selection will be made by a selection committee comprised of objective industry peer reviewers and ACT trustees,
- 7 participants per province will be selected and the selection will be based on the most viable proposals
- Graduation from this programme requires 100% participation and professional conduct of the masterclass series and assignments.
- On completion of the training and project plan submission an adjudication panel will review all proposals and up to 3 projects from each province will qualify for a cash investment and professional mentorship to implement their project in 90 days.
The Thuthukisani Programme is one of the first projects to combine training, mentorship, investment and implementation support to deserving businesses.
Individuals/organisations that meet the following selection criteria are eligible to apply:
- Arts organisations and/or individuals in the cultural and creative industries.
- CIPC and SARS compliant/registered, active arts organisations.
- Organisations must have an existing client base.
- The core business focus must be arts and culture.
- The project must be adaptable in the present circumstances taking place in the country.
- The project outline must support and identify assets that will contribute to the successful implementation of the project.
- The project must have a budget and a budget implementation plan which considers assets that could be cost saving (included during application and reviewed accordingly during the training phase).
- The project/participants must be able to benefit from individual mentoring which will impact the likelihood of the project to generate income.
- The project must have the potential to generate an income, and thereby show support of the longer-term sustainability of the business and create (an) opportunity for growth and exposure of the business.
This programme requires a significant commitment in terms of time and effort and is focused on supporting viable income generating projects. Selected applicants will need discipline and excellent communication skills and will be required to work with their mentor to develop their project plan. Acceptance into the programme does not guarantee investment.
Only South African nationals may apply and projects must take place in South Africa. The allocation of programme slots is at the discretion of the ACT board of Trustees. The decision about all applications for participation is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The ACT Thuthukisani Programme is proudly supported by Nedbank through the Nedbank Arts Affinity programme.
You can support the arts at no cost to you by linking your Nedbank account to the Arts Affinity. Click on the logo for more information on how to do this!